Women in Badminton
The BWF Women in Badminton Commission supports women’s participation in badminton at all levels of the sport – on and off the ‘field of play’. The Commission provides advice on policy development. In December 2011, the BWF Council endorsed the goal of achieving at least 20 percent women's representation on the BWF Council.
This was achieved in May 2013 at the AGM, when three women were elected to the Council in their own right, and they were joined by two Vice Presidents elected by their respective Continental Confederation AGM's as a BWF Vice President and the Chair of the Athletes' Commission.
Women on the BWF Council are:
- Dagmawit Girmay Berhane - Vice President Africa
- Geraldine Brown - Vice President Oceania, Chair - Women's Commission
- Nora Perry - Deputy Chair - Women's Commission
- Li Lingwei - Deputy Chair - Events Committee
- Emma Mason - Chair - Athletes Commission
- Chipo Zumburani - Deputy Chair, Finance Committee
Women in Badminton Commission
The Terms of Refernce
guides the work of the Women in Badminton Commission.
Key areas of focus for the Commission are to:
- monitor, support and enhance women’s participation in badminton.
- create internal awareness within the BWF and the sport of badminton of the importance of women in sport.
- ensure BWF policies take into account the opportunity for full participation of women in the sport:
· Council members / executive
· Technical officials
- assist in promoting women in badminton – marketing and communications, visual representation of women in badminton.
- be proactive at women in sports conferences and potentially drive international sports conferences and symposiums for women.
2013 Women in Badminton Forum
The third Women's Forum was held in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday 19 May - the day after the AGM. The Forum Programme
included a wide range of speakers and content. Download the presentations (lin here).