2014 Youth Olympic Games
The second Summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG) will be held in Nanjing from 16 – 28 August 2014. This is a major multi sport event for youth between the ages of 14 – 18 years old. The YOG will provide international competition for the worlds youth. It will also provide cultural, social and educational experiences for competing athletes. Badminton will be played at Nanjing Sport Institute Gymnasium from 17 to 22 August, 2014.
The following three events are included in the Youth Olympic Games
- men’s singles
- women’s singles and
- a mixed doubles event
BWF are pleased to inform you that the Qualification System Regulations for the Badminton Competition at the 2nd Youth Olympic Games have been formally ratified by the IOC at their recent meetings and are attached for your information and interest.
List of Players Eligible in: Phase I: MS WS Updated 7 May 2014
List of players confirmed on 16 May 2014 : MS WS updated 29 May 2014
List of players confirmed and invited on 7 July 2014: MS WS
The following key points from the regulations were taken into consideration for the qualification
- The World Junior championships 2014 quarter finalists (those reaching the last eight) in the men’s and women’s singles events, if eligible, will qualify unless a total of two athletes from any one NOC would thereby be exceed.
- The quota regulations state that a maximum of two men and two women from each NOC will qualify, only if both the men and / or both women, are among the top four of the 2014 World JUNIOR Ranking of 2 May 2014.
- Member Associations are advised to contact their National Olympic Committee to confirm that they will use the qualification places through the selection of qualified players by Friday 16 May 2014. Member Associations and their relevant NOC should notify the BWF immediately, either that the NOC is not selecting a qualified player or that a player is unable to compete through injury or other unavoidable occurrence. BWF will further invite the next in turn from 2 May 2014 World Junior ranking list to replace the player.
- Host Country Places; the highest ranked Men and women from the host country on the World Junior Ranking are eligible and therefor invited for the NYOG . The host country will not therefore need to nominate players for host country places.
- Four places have been allocated for Universality places and these will be confirmed by IOC before 22 June 2014 . Member Associations who have applied for Universality places are requested to contact your NOC immediately to know the status of that application.